Monday, February 09, 2009

Don't try this at home

All my best material comes from the kids' overnights, that's for sure. Lexi asked me to make heart-shaped cookies - we were working on valentines together, so it follows easily enough. I'm envisioning the whole roll-out sugar cookie thing, realizing I don't have a heart shaped cookie cutter, and she says she wants chocolate chip cookies. Far in the recesses of my brain I know this won't really work, but being the lefty-brained nut that I am, the active part of my brain said, well why not?

These look pretty good don't they? So did my left brain win? No. NO! These were the only two out of the whole entire stinkin' batch that turned out looking remotely like hearts. Imagine how much time was spent trying to make the other 30-some cookies look like these?? Thankfully she was just excited about these two, and didn't seem to care at all about the others, as long as she got to eat the hearts, naturally.

Now this is a whole other story. She came into me in middle of the night on Saturday to tell me her feet were cold. I'm ashamed to say that I was so far asleep that I didn't even get up, just told her to go get her socks from the clothes we'd laid out for church the next morning. Apparently she was up for awhile...



While she was eating breakfast Sunday morning, she said brightly, "Nini, do you wanna look at my bed?" Thinking she had done a 5-year-old job of making her bed and was proud, I said sure and went up to look. This is what I found. I asked her what happened, and she said, "I wanted to sleep on the bottom cushion so that's why the top cushion looks like a slide!" I stopped asking questions in fear, realizing though why she was SO COLD!! I have no idea whether she did this before she went to sleep or in the middle of the night ... am I even fit to have these children in my house??



Finally, a picture of her on her birthday. Poor kiddo was sick so her party got cancelled. Instead we had a very small pajama party, and she of course was the princess of the day. Fun enough, and I think she really didn't know the difference in the end.

Finally for real, yesterday's sermon was a very reflective challenge for me from the book of Nehemiah. He ALWAYS prayed first, and then took decisive action based on God's reponse and His word. Do I pray first and then ask God's blessing on my decision? All too often. Do I pray and then not act? Some of the time. Is that what He wants from me, is that what grows my relationship with Him? Is that what He longs for and waits for? How about you?


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Angie,
I sooo love your blog. You have a real way of telling a story. I love the cookies. They looked so yummy! I laughed when I saw the bed! Lexi just entertains herself in so many ways. Thanks too for the reminder about our inner action with God. There are so many lessons in Nehemiah! WOW!
I too often pray after the fact! Call me when it is convenient for you.
Love you,
Mom

Sheila said...

You're the best Angie. Does make you wonder what the heck was going on in the middle of the night.And I was impressed w/ those cookies.Enjoyed your reflection. Always a good reminder to pray and wait on Him, hard for me. I can go headlong into a decision and then I go running for His help to clean up the mess I just made. I have never found God to work in "It's and emergency" mentality. That's now my warning that it is not Him calling. But to be still and in that quiet He guides. Sorry to go on and on but your reflection was along the same lines as my morning meditation. Have a good day. Love ya all, Sheila

Angie Clayton said...

Oh don't be sorry! I love when God does that - puts two or more of us on His same page! I'm right there with you ... asking Him to clean up my messes instead of praying first - I hope and pray that my praying gets louder and sooner and messes get fewer and quieter!