Monday, August 01, 2011

mixed up, messed up moment

Ever have one of those moments (or days!) when you get mixed up, or forget something you know like the back of your hand, or put something in a totally random place, or mess something up you've done a million times?  A bit disconcerting, no?

Well, I had one of those yesterday, and it nearly sent me off my rocker.

I diligently fill both Greg's and my little Monday-Sunday pill boxes every week.  Needless to say mine has gotten a bit heftier lately.  When I put his out for him yesterday morning, there was a white pill in there that I didn't recognize.  And it was one more pill than what is normally in his "set."  So I started to try to figure out what this extra fellow was.  Now, to complicate things, between us we take THREE little white pills.  And I was almost out of two of them, so my pillbox was not completed for the week with two out of the three.

The more I sorted the more confused I got.  Naturally I had thrown away the empty bottles and hadn't yet picked up the new prescriptions.  My biggest fear was that I had accidentally put my migraine medicine in his box, you know that one that makes me stupid?  That's the LAST thing I need - to send him out the door to work with power tools on ladders, stupid.

I'm working my way into a full-fledged panic, because these are definitely three distinctively different pills.  Even though they are all white and little, the letters they have on them are not the same.  I'm ready to throw them all in the trash and start over (never MIND that one of these is $1 a pill!) when my mom comes in with the new prescriptions.  So we get the two out that I had refilled and were able to sort two of the three into known piles.  But still that left a whole pile that I  not only had no I idea what they were, now I couldn't even remember whose box they had come from!!

Thankfully mom's level head saved the day - she called the pharmacy and (who knew?) there is a reference book they use to look up pills by color and size and the numbers and letters on the pill.  I would venture to guess this little book is usually needed by 80 something year old people on the other end of the line, but whatever, it saved the day ... the extra pile of pills ended up being generic ZYRTEC which I just started putting in his pills this week because he's having allergies like crazy.  Seriously.  Memory trouble much?

I, of course, started bawling because 1) I was relieved and 2) apparently I have the memory of an 80 something, and I might be insulting them by saying that!

Oh well, as Jennifer Hudson proclaims, it's a NEW DAY!


1 comment:

Cassie said... said...

I can totally relate! When I was having chemo I took 17 pills. Some were so important I couldn't take chemo if I forgot to take them! Every week I would panic worried I was forgetting the right order or the right time!