Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Dilly Bread and other such things

I think I've probably posted this before, but it is my most favorite bread!!  The credit goes to my mother-in-law, Pat, who gave me the recipe years ago.


DILLY BREAD
Pat Clayton

1 pkg dry yeast
¼ c warm water
1 c cottage cheese
2 T sugar
1 T minced onion
1 T butter
2 t dill weed
1 t salt
½ t baking soda
1 unbeaten egg
2 ½ c flour

Soften yeast in ¼ c warm water. Heat cottage cheese to lukewarm; add sugar, onion, butter, dill weed and salt. Beat egg in large bowl; add cheese mixture, soda and yeast. Add flour to make a soft dough.

Let mixture rise in warm place until double, about 1 hour. Stir down; turn into 2 well-greased bread pans. Let rise in warm place 40 minutes. Bake until golden brown at 350* (30-45 mins). Spread butter and salt on top of loaf.

---

Today's a baking/cooking day.  It's cold outside (no kidding, huh?), I'm home all day, and I've been "getting by" with easy meals for long enough.  Think I'll do some parmesan chicken and baked parmesan potatoes.  Too much parmesan, you ask?  No such thing.  The potatoes are divine ... I'll post that recipe too if anyone wants it.

Life is clicking along.  Work is still going well, and retreat planning is moving at a good pace.  We did have one small hiccup when our speaker had to cancel, but amazingly God provided a pair of women to take her place that I am so excited about - Nancy Moser and Brenda Josee.  Their material fits perfectly with our theme, "Free to Be Me," and they were available the weekend we needed them.  This all fell into place in a matter of days ... how's that for "coincidence"?  :)

I miss my littles - haven't seen enough of them lately.  Lexi took quite the spill the other day ... her version of what happened:  "My toe slipped under my foot and I stepped on it and fell down!"  Poor little urchin, she is most certainly blood of my blood.  Despite the fact that her middle name is Grace, physical grace is definitely not one of her finest attributes!  Or mine ... or Christa's ... or Linda's ... sorry guys, but the truth hurts.

Brandon is still plugging away looking for more work in San Diego, but thankfully he has found a great group of Christian guys to live with and fellowship with - the community he's been missing so much since he finished The Race.

Christa looks super cute in her "police" uniform (sans weapons of course) ... I would have thought 'super cute' and 'police uniform' to be mutually exclusive, but she pulls it off.  :)

Off I go ... laundry to fold and bread to bake!


No comments: