Friday, November 27, 2009

Giving thanks

I think yesterday was the strangest-feeling Thanksgiving I've had.  It was hard to pinpoint just what felt so weird and off.  Yes, there was the fact that Brandon was in San Diego, alone, all day.  And Christa had to stay here and work while the rest of her family went to Lincoln to see J.R.'s family.  And there were only six of us at Mom's Thanksgiving table.  And for some reason all the "Black Friday" news was just so irritating to me this year.  And Greg and I went to Walmart and got groceries last night - Thanksgiving night!!

But the more I thought and talked to Greg about it, I realized I'm mostly just nostalgic.  The Thanksgivings I remember from my childhood were all day events that included every single member of the family (and then some), because we all lived in the same town.  The food array was predictably enormous, and we never stopped eating all day long.  We watched the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade every year, looking forward to it like we looked forward to Christmas morning ... almost.  And the most startling difference is that there were no stores open.  None.  No convenience stores, grocery stores, of course no fast food or restaurants or retail stores.  There was no missing the fact that it was Thanksgiving!

So that is what I finally came down to ... it would be really easy to just skip over Thanksgiving entirely.  Our families are all spread out and the whole retail and news world not only keeps moving but ramps into overdrive.  I didn't even think about the parade - I assume it was on yesterday?? 

I miss those simpler times!  My age is showing for sure ... nostalgia is creeping in ... and having said all of that I'm so thankful that our little piece of the family celebrated together yesterday with traditional food, football, and games. I am also thankful, however, for the wonderful memories I have from Thanksgivings gone by.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I felt much the same way yesterday. Especially the part about NOTHING being open. What has happened to us as a society, where we can't plan ahead well enough to take ONE DAY OFF, from everything except friends and family. SAD!!!! Anyway, I feel ya Sis!! Love you and missed you yesterday, Mike.

Angie Clayton said...

I missed you too, so much! Glad you're coming home for Christmas - we're having it here this year. :)

Hi Kooky said...

Sorry it was weird for you. I understand what you're talking about. I feel incredibly blessed to still go to my aunt and uncle's house - along with other family members - where we've been going for about 35 years. I can't imagine Thanksgiving any other way, and there's such continuity to returning each year. I appreciate that my family members value the gathering as well, and make the effort too. I'm glad you have those memories - they are gems.