Thursday, January 28, 2010

I just have to say ...


... that this getting old business is for the birds.  My poor back ... my twisted ankle ... my sore achilles tendon ... an elbow that can predict cold weather ... arthritis in my big toe and my thumb ... going to bed at 9:00 p.m. and waking up at 5:30 a.m. ... meds for high blood pressure ... yikes.  If this is what happens at 45, then what will ... well, LATER be like?

Then again, this getting old business means I have VERY productive mornings, which is good.  And those extra pounds, well, I just chalk them up to middle age.  And the empty nest, that's a pretty good deal, trust me.  I read a lot, and don't feel guilty.  I work a little, and don't feel guilty.  I eat too much, and I only feel a LITTLE guilty.




And of course (you had to know this was coming) tea parties, endless reading, board games, art projects galore, lego creations, hot wheels races, and all those other fun things that come with grandparenting.  Now that we know that our every decision won't ruin the child for life, it's WAY more fun!

So after all that whining, I'll keep the bad back, sore this 'n' that, arising before the dawn, and all that other stuff - as it turns out, the trade off is totally worth it!!

2 comments:

Kari F. said...

I always marvel at "older" people ;). I remember my grandma always waking up when it was dark-dark, and going to bed way later than I could hang. She would have been my mom's age back then, 60-ish. I thought it was so weird. I'm glad you enjoy the early mornings, which is a little nuts. I can't wait for the freedom that comes with age.

Angie Clayton said...

My mother-in-law (in her 70's) says age brings with it the ability to say pretty much whatever's on her mind and get away with it - now THAT could be scary coming from me. Or Greg for that matter!