Friday, July 28, 2006

Hobbit Hollow Happenings

Last evening, I watched a mama deer and her two little fawns (they still had their spots) playing in the garden and meadow in front of our house. It was so cute - the fawns were furiously running laps around the garden, chasing each other and jumping over plants and fences, and mama just stood in the middle of the garden and watched them calmly. They played for probably a half hour - it was great fun to watch! I thought about trying to get a picture, but they were in the shadows, and I was having too much fun just watching them.

Here's the first fruits of our garden!! I had given up on getting much of anything, and so am very thankful for what remains. The squash are doing very well - does anyone know what kind of squash this is? The tomatoes are looking pretty fine also - probably by the time I get back from camp I will have enough to make salsa and to share!



This is one of the Resurrection Lilies that is suddenly blooming in our yard - anyone familiar with these plants knows how they just shoot up out of nowhere and bloom before your very eyes! My Grandma Irma had these - they so remind me of her - she called them Naked Ladies, which simultaneously offended and delighted my children when they were small.



I'm headed back to camp tomorrow for another week. Christa is going along, and so far we have 19 kids. I am praying for 9 more - the most we could take with the staff we have is 28, so I want 28!! Today is the last day for them to register so there will have to be a rush. Next week is supposed to be very hot again - as we come to your mind, please pray for endurance and strength for the staff and campers.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I did meet your fellow Westbrooke-ians! I worked very closely with Val W. if you know her. I found your blog through a Google search of CUMCITO - looking to see if I could find anyone we met at camp. I will pray for you while you're there next week.

shannon said...

looks like acorn squash? did i spell that right?