Thursday, November 09, 2006

Headline news: Brenda needs to get out more! says McDonald's employee

So Tuesday, Brenda and I headed for Toys-R-Us to do some Christmas shopping for her boys. (Somehow I came home with more than she did, and my kids are all over 20. Not sure what happened there.)

Anyway, we got there at 9:45, both of us being OCD and habitually early, when they didn't open until 10:00. So, being the coupon/sausage QUEEN (did you miss that pageant?), I suggested we go to McDonald's for some fortification since I had a buy one - get one free breakfast sandwich coupon.

This little lady who waited on us was probably 70+ years old, and her little Mickey D's vest was literally covered in metal pins ... like "Smile, God loves you", and every state she'd ever visited, etc. etc. I handed her the coupon, told her the sandwich and drink I wanted, and then noticed Brenda fumbling around in her purse for her debit card. I grabbed her arm, and told the little cashier to tell her "No!" SO this lady YELLS at Brenda, "SHE SAID NO!" and grabbed the debit card and handed it to me! Then she looks at me and says, "Thank you! It was good to have permission to get that out - I'm feeling very angry this morning!" (Much laughter as you might imagine.)

But ... we still need Brenda's order. Little angry old lady and I are waiting patiently, and Brenda's looking back and forth between us grinning like a fool, obviously having no idea that she's holding up the train. So I said, "Brenda! What do you want to eat?" And so she points at the coupon, then stutters a couple of unintelligible words (she might have even drooled a little). I gently tell her she has to PICK a sandwich and point at the menu board. The little lady leans over to me and says, "You don't take her out much, do you?!" And I shake my head, sadly, no I don't, and she says, "You really need to get her out more, even if you take her to Hardee's, that's ok with me!!"

By now Brenda and I are nearly hysterical with laughter ... quite a lot of entertainment for $3.20!

So, as my title says, I'm looking for volunteers to "socialize" poor Brenda and teach her things like proper coupon etiquette at fast food restaurants, etc. Beware that you may be embarrassed, but it will be worth the warm feeling of helping a poor soul learn how to function in the real world. :)

Love ya Bren, you know I do!!!!!!!!!! You knew this was coming, right? Too good of a story to pass up.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

STUPID VIRGIN!!!!! :)

Anonymous said...

Didn't know old McDonald workers yell at cusomers.So much for customer service!

Anonymous said...

Angie, Angie, Angie.... Haven't you figured out by now that that is why I try to keep her home as much as possible. I can only take so much public embarassement. :)

Anonymous said...

Duh Mom!!

Angie Clayton said...

Eric, very nice of you to stick up for your mom, but seriously, she had it coming. :) Kirk, I'm doing my best during the weekdays, you might need to step it up on the nights and weekends ... life is short you know. Kevin, you CRACK ME UP!!

Anonymous said...

Where's the broken chair blog?! :)

Anonymous said...

there.... now you can update and stop whining