Tuesday, June 06, 2006

B.J. update

Here's an excerpt from an e-mail we got yesterday from B.J., who's doing his youth ministry internship at a 7000-member church in San Diego. He's staying with the family of a friend from school (Will):

"I went hiking Saturday morning up a mile and a half tall mountain, so that was pretty fun. Chuck and Elizabeth (Will's sister, he slept in) came, but only made it 3/4 of the way up, cause it was hot that day. I got some pictures from the top, so if I ever get my computer hooked up to the internet I have a bunch to send you guys. Saturday night was back to church, played with the three four and five year olds, and ended up being one of only two main staffers there, so I had to teach them, while Nina (the other full timer) took the infants. That was fun, and only a little stressful =) Then Sunday I worked all day again, and got thrown into a small group Sunday night because we were short on volunteers, so I had all the 2nd-5th grade boys.... AAHHHH! it was a little crazy, since I didn't have any idea what the lesson was on, and never did get any curriculum to go off of, so basically I just winged it, then had them do sit-up and push-up "competitions" until their parents came =) Other than that I have just been working and hanging out on the beach during the week."

Sounds like he's getting lots of experience and having a good time! When he sends some pictures I'll post them so we can all wish we were there!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like BJ is getting his feet wet! Youth ministry can keep you on your toes. Sounds like he did the best that he could being thrown into the situation. Can't imagine not giving him a cirriculum!
I hope he can send the pictures soon. I would love to see them and maybe one of him catching a wave or two.....good job BJ!

Angie Clayton said...

It's good for him - builds character! :)