Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Dilly Bread

Here's one of my favorite bread recipes - compliments of my mother-in-law. It's super easy (no kneading) and yum-yum-yummy! Mine never rises very high, so the loaves are small, so don't be surprised if that happens to you. Also, in my oven it usually doesn't take the whole 45 minutes to bake. Enjoy!

Dilly Bread
from Grama Pat

1 pkg dry yeast
¼ c warm water
1 c cottage cheese
2 T sugar
1 T minced onion
1 T butter
2 tsp dill seed (or dill weed)
1 tsp salt
¼ tsp soda
1 unbeaten egg
2 ½ c flour

Soften 1 pkg yeast in ¼ c warm water. Heat cottage cheese to lukewarm; add sugar, onion, butter, dill seed, and salt. Beat egg in large bowl; add cheese mixture, soda and yeast. Add flour to make a soft dough. Let mixture rise in warm place until double (about 1 hour). Stir down; turn into 2 well-greased bread pans. Let rise in warm place 40 minutes. Bake until golden brown at 350° (45 min). Spread butter and kosher salt on top of loaf.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So do you think it would be bad if I just happened to print this recipe off and just happened to place it on the counter in the Jamison's kitchen... To be honest I don't think anyone would get the hint =)

-BJ

Angie Clayton said...

Couldn't hurt - you never know!! Maybe I'll just e-mail you my whole recipe file and you can selectively and randomly leave them around. Or you could cook them yourself! I love you, sweet boy.