Wednesday, December 24, 2008

O Holy Night

The lump in my throat has been there all day, and the tears keep spilling over. Yes, my son Brandon is not home for Christmas for the first time ever, and yes, I mourn (as I do every year) the loss of Kiki and Terran. And yes, we went to see a sad movie this afternoon. :)

But as I've prayed my way through the day, wrapping presents, making dessert for tomorrow, checking plans for the morning with the grandkids, I realized that the lump, and the tears that keep coming, are rooted in humility and gratitude toward the God that made Himself a man, flesh and blood, sent to be born in the most humiliating circumstances, for the express purpose of dying in the most humiliating possible way, so that I could have access to the God that loves me, the God that I was separated from because of my sin. His righteousness prevented my sinful self from standing in His presence, and nothing I could do could erase my sin. Jesus' birth, life, death and resurrection were required for ME ... to cover MY sin ... so that I could belong to my God for all of eternity. What is required of me? To believe in the Lord Jesus Christ. Period. Period!!

How can I weep over an absent son, a failed adoption, a sad movie, and fail to weep over a God who chose to send His Son to die for ME, to fail to weep over the magnitude of the gift that was delivered to me ... and for YOU, should you choose to accept it ... over 2000 years ago. His promises are as good today as they ever were, and He is waiting with open arms. Believe.


2 comments:

Anita J. said...

Angie I said a prayer for you. I am sorry for your pain, and glad you have hope.

Merry Christmas.

Angie Clayton said...

Thanks Anita - the HOPE He offers is exceedingly abundantly more than I could even dream of ... regardless of circumstances, which He never promises will be easy, He gave me LIFE!