Monday, December 15, 2008

"X"mas?

Am I the only one who has been offended by the seemingly secular reduction of the word Christmas to "Xmas" - in other words, taking "Christ" out of Christmas? Well boy did I learn something tonight! Here's a brief synopsis - if it piques your interest, do some more research because there is MUCH MUCH more to the letter "X" as it pertains to our Christian heritage and faith even beyond what is explained here.


X·mas (krĭs'məs, ěks'məs) Pronunciation Key
n. Christmas.

[From X, the Greek letter chi, first letter of Greek Khrīstos, Christ; see Christ.]

Usage Note: Xmas has been used for hundreds of years in religious writing, where the X represents a Greek chi, the first letter of Χριστoς, "Christ." In this use it is parallel to other forms like Xtian, "Christian." But people unaware of the Greek origin of this X often mistakenly interpret Xmas as an informal shortening pronounced (ěks'məs). Many therefore frown upon the term Xmas because it seems to them a commercial convenience that omits Christ from Christmas.

Angie here again - The "X" was not only the first letter in the Greek word for Christ, but was used to mark meeting places for the early churches, to mark the graves of martyrs, and was used as an abbreviation for Christ in many early writings due to time, ink and paper restraints. In addition, many people could not read or write, so the "X" was a universal sign among believers and the places they worshipped.

This was fascinating to me - yes, there are many many merchants and unbelievers that simply shorten Christmas to Xmas for convenience, but now I know not only the original historical basis, but how precious it really is! I will never think ill of it again!


5 comments:

Brenda said...

this is very cool, who knew! :)

Molly said...

I have always been annoyed at X-mas too! It has a fascinating history, but many do use it to take Christ out:( Also, I hate using the all rolled into one, happy holidays, we were always told to say that at work so as not to offend any non-believers. I said Merry Christmas anyway:)
-Molly-

Anita J. said...

I am glad you posted this. I was surprised when I made the same discovery. It is funny how it sounds so bad because of our culture's us of 'x'.

Angie Clayton said...

Molly - I don't like the whole "happy holidays" politically correct thing either - so of course I deliberately say Merry Christmas every chance I get. :)

shannon said...

i am so glad you posted that. for the last few years i have really wondered about it and know i know. thanks!