Thursday, November 20, 2008

Doing battle

Last weekend I made a heartfelt promise to pray for fifteen women for forty days.

I forgot the VERY FIRST DAY!! (Being very transparent here ... be kind to me.) God woke me up in the middle of the night with that realization, and of course I got up and prayed right then. That experience made me realize I needed to "make a plan" - I love plans :) - and I put a reminder in my cell phone to go off every day and laminated two lists of the names. I posted one on the front of my pantry (goodness knows I get in there enough during the day!) and put the other one in my wallet sticking up behind my driver's license.

That has helped. A lot. BUT I still find myself putting it off, being resistant in my spirit, not because I don't want to pray but because of ... I don't know! My sinful rebellious nature, I suppose, and I think also direct opposition from the enemy.

It's incredible to me that I meant what I said SO sincerely, and that I'm having so much trouble following through. I would appreciate your prayers for ME, that I would be faithful! (Today is day 5, by the way, so I have a long ways to go!)

5 comments:

Anita J. said...

As my friend JuJu says, I can't help you with a lie, but we can work with honesty.

Fifteen is a lot! Do you have a specific point of prayer for each one or do you focus on them for a few minutes...or what? Tell me a little about your method as you do this.

Did you blog about when you got the idea? If so just link me there. I am enjoying your blog(s).

Anita J. said...

Since I quoted JuJu it made it look like I wanted to help you with your method! LOL That was not at all my intent.

It sounds like you have the reminders covered, and I did pray for you. I was simply saying that I appreciate your transparency.

Angie Clayton said...

Anita - these are the women that were at our retreat last weekend, so that's where the idea came from. I do have a "sense" of them each individually for the most part, but also a "blanket" prayer for the whole group. I'm trying to pray briefly for them each individually, then for the group - it's not really the actual praying that's the problem - it's the DOING IT! Thanks for asking - helps would be great!

Anonymous said...

Angie,

Can I tell you how much I love reading your blog. It always gives me a warm feeling inside. You are one amazing woman who probably has no idea how powerful your words and spirit are to me. I will pray for you and have no doubt you will deliver.

Gina Kuchta

Angie Clayton said...

Oh Gina - you made me cry. Thanks for the words of encouragement that what pours out of my heart (usually) isn't just gibberish!