Friday, November 28, 2008

Under the Radar

I ate an incredible load of food yesterday. You know what I'm talking about, that I-can't-wait-to-get-these-jeans-off, one more bite will send me over the edge, I just KNOW I can never possibly be hungry again as long as I live type of meal. Kudos to Greg's family for making me miserable with that delicious spread!

I am proud to say I've avoided leaving the house altogether today, which was exactly my plan. "Black Friday" is my worst nightmare - I would rather be poked in the eye with a stick (or something equally horrible) than fight crowds of frantic, angry, pushy, excited people at 4 a.m. I'm not a shop-for-pleasure kind of gal anyway, so that should tell you something. No judgment toward those of you who went - hope you found some great deals, and glad I wasn't in your way. :)

Instead, I've sort of had a "snow day." Greg had to work, and Christa and family are in Lincoln visiting J's family until tomorrow. My phone has literally not rung ONE TIME today! I just realized that ... wow. I wonder if that has ever happened before!

I did some laundry, made some cookies (peanut butter, Greg's favorite), snoozed for a bit, started a new book, and spent the rest of the day listening to the recording of the marriage seminar we did a couple of week ago. We recorded it so that we can do a "promo" cd with some sound bytes, so I was listening for things that might work for that, but it was actually really really good to hear the whole thing from "outside" of my teacher's chair. First of all, DOES MY VOICE REALLY SOUND LIKE THAT?????

I was re-convinced (is that a word? Doubt it but I bet you all know what I mean) of the importance of talking to women about all the things God has to say about what kind of wives He means for us to be. As I listened I realized once again how counter scripture runs to our culture and all it's messages. God says men are to be the head of the household - only one person can be in charge and God means for it to be him. Our culture ... right down to the commercials on tv (think about it) ... portray men to be buffoons and idiots, seemingly not capable of getting themselves dressed properly let alone provide for and protect a household.

Some other stuff from the seminar really fired me up again too ... the way the enemy does everything he can to draw men and women together "inappropriately" before marriage, and then does everything he can to keep them apart after marriage. And how insidious that is, especially after marriage, and how we have to do active battle against it if we hope to prevail. I was reminded of the importance of being quiet ... dang why is that so hard for me??? But do I always need to have an opinion? Or the last word? Or ... worse ... a better idea?

Anyway, as you can tell, it seemed worth my time for sure to listen to the whole thing, although it took most of the day and I am reminded of how much I hate the way my voice sounds!! Please pray with us that God will continue to open doors to share this information in whatever format He desires!

I am fixing turkey pot pie for dinner - another Greg favorite ... guess that recording had more effect than I realized. :)

No comments: